Packed with Special FeaturesSamsung Galaxy S5 is packed with special features like a finger print sensor, heart rate monitor and 4K video recording among others.
This is aimed at re-gaining the lead from Apple in the smartphone market. Even Pinoy Techno Guide readers are looking for something totally ingenious with Galaxy S5 for them to choose it.
Here’s the Samsung Galaxy S5 telling you your heart rate:
|Leaked photo of Samsung Galaxy S5 hours before Samsung's official announcement.|
Samsung Galaxy S5 Special Features
1. Finger Print ScannerThe physical home button below the phone’s screen covers a finger print sensor just like on Apple’s iPhone 5S. Aside from serving as a password, it can also authorize or prevent Paypal online payments.
2. Heart Rate MonitorJust beside the LED flash are two dots. Those are part of the heart rate monitor. You need to place your index finger over there and the S-Health 3.0 app will tell you your heart rate.
|Put your index finger over those dots beside the LED flash and find out your heart rate.|
3. 4K Video Recording4K is the next generation video resolution. Have you noticed that as your TV goes larger and larger, the video quality becomes lesser and lesser? 4K video have resolutions of up to 4,000 or more Pixels making it very clear and sharp even on your very large TV.
|Official photo of the Samsung Galaxy S5.|
4. IP67 Water and Dust ResistantSamsung also made the Galaxy S5 resistant to water and dust. It is safe to submerge a galaxy S5 under 1m of water for up to 30 minutes.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Design and Display and User InterfaceJust like the previous versions of Samsung’s flagship smartphone, Galaxy S5 doesn’t differ much when it comes to design.
|Samsung Galaxy S5 in gold, anyone?|
The back of Galaxy S5 has a matte plastic back cover akin to the faux leather finished we first saw on the Galaxy Note 3. On the other hand, the front side looks the same with its 5.1 inch display covered with Gorilla Glass 3.
Powering up the phone reveals the familiar TouchWix user interface but with a flat theme and round icons of Android 4.4.2 Kitkat.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Processor, Memory and Battery
Samsung Galaxy S5 didn't follow the Galaxy Note 3 for having 3GB of RAM. Instead, it is stuck with 2GB only. That should still be plenty enough so that you won’t ever experience lags.
Lastly, its battery made us feel assured with 2,800 mAh that will last for a day of use.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Camera
|Samsung Galaxy S5 photography is better than its predecessors.|
Photography on Galaxy S5 has very interesting upgrades both for the hardware and the software aspects. Instead of the usual 13MP sensor, it now has a 16MP main camera with 0.3s delay between shots and 3.2MP for the front.
Aside from the 4K video recording we’ve mentioned above, Samsung Galaxy S5 also has the ability to change the focus of the image after it has been taken. This is similar to Nokia’s Refocus app.
This makes us think more about Samsung’s strategy. Have they run out of new ideas and are just copying what others have done?
Samsung Galaxy S5 Networks and ConnectivityGalaxy S5 has LTE but what’s more interesting is its ability to use this and a Wi-Fi connection at the same time for an insanely fast internet speed.
|Bottom side of the Samsung Galaxy S5.|
There’s a USB 3.0 port at the bottom, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, Infrared and USB On the Go capability.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Specs
- 2.5GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Processor
- Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS
- 5.1 Inch Super AMOLED Display @ 1080 x 1920 Pixels or 432 PPI
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Scratch Resistant Layer
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 16 Megapixel Selective Focus Main Camera with LED Flash
- 3.2 Megapixel Front Camera
- 4K Video Recording
- 2GB of RAM
- 16/32 GB of Internal Storage
- Expandable up to 128GB via Micro SD
- LTE (150 Mbps), 3G (HSDPA 42Mbps), EDGE and GPRS Networks
- Dual Band Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot and DLNA
- A-GPS with GLONASS Support
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE with A2DP
- Infrared Port
- USB OTG
- Finger Print Sensor
- Heart Rate Detector
- IP67 Water and Dust Resistant
- Temperature Sensor
- Gesture Sensor
- Ambient Light Sensor
- 2,800 mAh Li-ion Battery
Samsung Galaxy S5 Price and Availability in the Philippines
Samsung hasn't revealed the price of Samsung Galaxy S5 yet but we're expecting it to be around Php30,000 or more.
The release date is scheduled on April 11, 2014. Are you excited or disappointed with the Samsung Galaxy S5?