Just as promised, HMD Global confirms that all Nokia smartphones it released so far will receive a software update to Android 8.0 Oreo.
There’s no exact date given but since Nokia 3, Nokia 5, Nokia 6 and the recently announced Nokia 8 all run on near stock Android, it shouldn’t take that long. Our estimate is at the end of 2017 or early 2018.
Nokia smartphones are now available in the Philippines. These include the first three mentioned above. The Nokia 8 is still awaiting an official release date in many parts of the world.
However, be careful when buying these Nokia smartphones as some sellers won’t are offering units intended for other markets such as China. It will be difficult upgrading these units to Oreo.
What’s New with Oreo?
Android 8.0 Oreo offers several new features that improves the mobile operating system’s performance. It now supports picture-in-picture mode natively, has a more organized notifications and adaptive icons.
The OS now limits background processes – another attempt at improving battery life of Android devices. Security has been given a lot of attention too especially with the new Google Play Protect.
However, it still uses Material Design. There are just a few improvements in the UX.
- 5.3-inch QHD IPS LCD Display (1440 x 2560 Pixels), 554 ppi
- Android 7.1 Nougat Operating System
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Chipset
- 4 GB of RAM
- 13.0 + 13.0 Megapixel Rear Camera with Dual-tone LED Flash
- 12.0 Megapixel Front Camera
- Dual SIM
- 64GB Internal Storage
- Expandable Up to 256 via microSD
- 4G LTE (700MHz), 3G HSPA+, 2G EDGE & GPRS Networks
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac (Dual Band)
- Bluetooth 5.0
- USB Type-C
- 3.5mm Audio Jack
- Fingerprint Sensor
- 3090mAh Battery
- Fast Charging (Quick Charge 3.0)
- ₱29,990.00 Official Price in the Philippines