After its parent company Lenovo’s announcement of the Phab2 Pro, Motorola unveiled the Moto Z that allows modular parts called Moto Mods to snap on its back via magnets.
It’s also one of the thinnest smartphones to date at just 5.2mm but in the process, excluded a standard 3.5mm audio jack. Instead, users will have to connect their earphones to the phone’s USB-Type C port using a free adaptor.
Motorola’s inspiration with its Moto Mods modular technology seems to be that of Google’s Project Ara. LG has also gone the modular route with the LG G5 but by changing the phone’s chin instead of using powerful magnets that helps the modules attach to the phone.
Some of the current available Moto Mods include a loudspeaker from JBL, 50-lumen pico projector and several battery packs. These will be supported by future Motorola smartphones and new modules will be added soon such as a camera Mod that offers 10x optical zoom.
The Motorola Moto Z has a 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED display with a cover of Corning Gorilla Glass. Its thin body is made up of aluminum and stainless steel and is entirely coated with water repellent.
It runs on Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 processor with 4GB of RAM and Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow as the operating system. There’s either 64GB or 32GB of built in storage and a microSD card slot that supports up to 2 terabyte memory cards!
|The Moto Z comes in gold, black, rose gold and white color options.|
For photography, the Moto Z has a 13MP main camera with an f/1.8 aperture for low light shots, optical image stabilization (OIS), laser autofocus, dual LED flash and 4k video recording. On the front is a 5MP selfie snapper with its own LED flash.
Of course, it supports 4G LTE networks, dual band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1 and NFC. A measly 2600mAh battery powers the device but quick charging is present.
Prices hasn’t been revealed yet but it will reportedly become available here in the Philippines.
- 5.5-Inch Quad HD AMOLED Display (1440 x 2560 Pixels, 535 ppi)
- Scratch Resistant Corning Gorilla Glass
- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS
- Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820 Chipset
- 2.15GHz Dual Core Kyro and 1.6GHz Dual Core Kyro CPUs
- Adreno 530 GPU
- 4GB of RAM
- 13.0 Megapixel Rear Camera with f/1.8 Aperture, OIS and Dual LED Flash
- 5.0 Megapixel front Camera with 1.4µm Pixels and LED Flash
- 64GB or 32GB Internal Storage
- Expandable Up to 2TB via MicroSD
- Single SIM (Nano)
- 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, 2G EDGE and GPRS Networks
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (Dual Band)
- NFC Support
- Bluetooth 4.1
- A-GPS with GLONASS
- FM Radio
- USB On-the-Go (OTG)
- USB Type-C Port with digital audio output
- Front-facing loudspeaker
- Magnetic Moto Mods Connector
- Fingerprint Sensor
- Proximity Sensor
- Ambient Light Sensor
- 153.3 x 75.3 x 5.2 mm @ 136 g
- 2600mAh Li-ion Battery (Non-removable)
Show Comments 💬