Meizu’s most awaited and speculated smartphone has finally been unveiled – the Meizu MX5. Right of the bat, the company says it is ‘perhaps a bit more good-looking than the iPhone’!
That statement comes from its all-metal body that lacks the ugly plastic lines of the iPhones. It was achieved using state of the art coloring and injection molding.
As expected, the Meizu MX5 is packed with high-end specs such as the Helio X10 Turbo chipset from MediaTek which is composed of eight ARM Cortex-A53 CPU cores all running at 2.2GHz, PowerVR G6200 as the graphics renderer and 3GB of RAM!
The screen is a scratch resistant 5.5-inch full HD AMOLED panel housed in a less than 3-inch wide body with a thickness of merely 7.6mm and weighing 149 grams only.
Photography is handled by a 20.7MP rear camera with laser-aided autofocus and 5MP selfie-centric snapper on the front. Both are protected by Gorilla Glass 3.
Below the Meizu MX5’s display is an oval home button that also doubles as a finger print sensor dubbed as mTouch.
It’s a dual SIM smartphone that can connect to 4G LTE networks, utilize dual band Wi-Fi and have the usual Bluetooth at version 4.1 and GLONASS aided GPS positioning.
A 3,150mAh battery powers the smartphone. The bundled fast charger can top this off to 25% in merely 10 minutes of charging.
Perhaps its only disadvantage is the lack of microSD card slot. It comes in three storage variants: 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. There are also four color options – gold, black, white and dual tone black and white.
Pricing has been revealed at 1,799 Chinese Yuan for the cheapest version which is around ₱13,000! More storage means higher price at ₱14,500 and ₱17,400 for the 32GB and 64GB variants respectively.
However, expect a slightly higher price when it comes here in the Philippines. A ₱2000 increase due to taxes and importation cost is reasonable. Nevertheless, the Meizu MX5 is a certified bang for the buck smartphone!
- 5.5-Inch Full HD AMOLED Display (1080 x 1920 Pixels, 441 ppi)
- Scratch Resistant Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Android 5.0 Lollipop OS with Flyme OS 4.5
- MediaTek Helio X10 Chipset
- 2.2GHz Octa Core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
- PowerVR G6200 GPU
- 3GB of RAM
- 20.7 Megapixel Main Camera with Laser Autofocus, f/2.2 Aperture and Dual Tone LED Flash
- 5.0 Megapixel Front Camera with f/2.0 Aperture
- 16GB, 32GB or 64GB Internal Storage
- Dual SIM (Nano + Nano)
- 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, 2G EDGE and GPRS Networks
- Dual Band Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Bluetooth 4.1
- GPS with GLONASS
- USB OTG Support
- 3.5mm Audio Jack
- mTouch Finger Print Sensor
- Digital Compass
- Infrared Proximity Sensor
- Ambient Light Sensor
- 149.9 x 74.7 x 7.6 mm @ 149 g
- 3,150mAh Battery
- mCharge Quick Charge Technology
- Starts at 1,799 Chinese Yuan
- Around ₱13,000 in the Philippines (Forex)
Show Comments 💬